I've experienced severe IBS symptoms since the insertion of my mirena (levonorgestrel) IUD (gas pain = the worst pain i've had!) how would an IUD affect GI issues?

Dr. Craig Aronchick
Internal Medicine - Gastroenterology

In brief: IUD and abdominal Pa

Dear amelia, the most important thing you must do is have your gynecologist assess the status of the iud, has it slipped out of position, is there an infection , is there some allergic reaction.
Abdominal pain like ibs can be indecipherable from pain emanating from your female organs.

In brief: IUD and abdominal Pa

Dr. Craig Aronchick
Dr. Craig Aronchick
Dr. Khristine Tate

In brief: Consider going to ER

Since it is the worst pain you have ever had you should go to the er. The worst case is a perforation which can be a surgical emergency or an infection.

In brief: Consider going to ER

Dr. Khristine Tate
Dr. Khristine Tate
Dr. Jane Van Dis