Suboxone and grapefruit does it make the medication stop working? I like grapefruit and remembered that it interacts with some medications.

Dr. James Marx
Pain Management

In brief: Use Caution

Grapefruit juice is an inhibitor of the enzyme (cyp3a4) responsible for the metabolism of Buprenorphine (opioid component of suboxone), however, even though there are no reported problems with this juice, i suggest that you limit or omit use of grapefruit juice while you are on suboxone.

In brief: Use Caution

Dr. James Marx
Dr. James Marx
Dr. Paul Grin
Pain Management

In brief: No interaction

Grapefruit juice decreases the activity of the cytochrome p450 enzymes that are responsible for breaking down many drugs and toxins in the liver. There is no interaction between two substances.
I will not effect suboxone. Rec.: for more information talk to you prescribing physician.

In brief: No interaction

Dr. Paul Grin
Dr. Paul Grin
Dr. Michael Dusoe
Addiction Medicine

In brief: Suboxone

We have been prescribing suboxone for 7 years and have heard no complaints about the grapefruit juice from those that use it.
There are medications that are contraindicated for suboxone. Check with your prescriber or run a search or simply check out the the pharmaceutical manufacturer for your medication online.

In brief: Suboxone

Dr. Michael Dusoe
Dr. Michael Dusoe
Dr. Vikram Patel