Why isn't the pain constant with tn?

Dr. John Weeks
In brief: Lucky it's not
Good question. I don't think there is a simple answer for this.
Possibly the irritated trigeminal nerve fatigues or is suppressed by the brain. A similar situation might be epilepsy where the damaged area only gets triggered periodically. Most people with tn couldn't stand having the pain constantly.

In brief: Lucky it's not
Dr. John Weeks
Dr. John Weeks
In brief: Trigeminal Neuralgia
Tn is not a well understood ailment.
Often it occurs without warning. The episodes of pain, often with short bursts and on one side of the the face, may happen frequently or be rare. Understanding of tn is ongoing and still is relatively a mystery.

In brief: Trigeminal Neuralgia
Tn is not a well understood ailment.
Dr. Jeffrey Bassman
Dr. Jeffrey Bassman
Dr. Jack Hinkle