Does trigeminal neuralgia run in families?

Not usually . Literature does not support a hereditary line to trigeminal neuralgia.
No genetic component. If a gene or genes that cause trigeminal neuralgia can be found, the diagnosis and treatment of trigeminal neuralgia may be improved.
I would say no. Face pain is confusing to doctors. Is it nerve, tension, tumor or not? So, I just use 2 types; Tumors or aneurysm or NOT. 2nd type is common from the stresses and strains of life collects in the muscles which can NOT be surgically “fixed.” This stress type needs treatment too but with a combo recipe concept. Wellness, minerals, myofascial release, massage, aerobics, soaking, Chiro and acupuncture.
Not commonly. However, there are a minority of instances where this can occur. Like the others who have answered this question, most cases are sporadic. For many of these, it is possible to demonstrate a vascular structure making contact with the trigeminal nerve.