What are the chances of my baby brother dying if he caught the real influenza?

Dr. Martin Raff
Internal Medicine - Infectious Disease

In brief: Not much, but maybe

How old is baby brother? The odds are that he will recover uneventfully but may be quite uncomfortable for a week or so.
Your mom will watch closely and get good medical care if he gets badly ill, so help her out and be supportive. Hope brother is better soon.

In brief: Not much, but maybe

Dr. Martin Raff
Dr. Martin Raff

In brief: It happens

I almost lost an otherwise healthy 3 yo 2 yrs ago in spite of antivirals started the first day of symptoms.
She spent a month in the ICU and got as close as any patient I ever dealt with that finally survived.That was the only such flu case like it I had in 3+ decades of practice. Flu is a disease I respect and worry about, but death is rare among the healthy population.

In brief: It happens

Dr. HARRY OPSIMOS
Pediatrics - Pulmonology

In brief: Slim

Influenza can kill babies, but it is rare.

In brief: Slim

Dr. HARRY OPSIMOS
Dr. HARRY OPSIMOS
Dr. Shontae Buffington