Should I get my children tested for hypertrophic cardiomyopathy if he is all normal but an athlete?

Dr. Jason Adler
Pediatrics - Critical Care

In brief: Athlete

The american academy of pediatrics and american heart association have screening guidelines for athletes.
If you have a family history of hypertrophic cardiomyopathy or unexplained sudden death in the family, then evaluation for this process is warranted. You child should undergo a sports clearance physical by his doctor who can discuss this with you.

In brief: Athlete

Dr. Jason Adler
Dr. Jason Adler
Dr. Barton Cook
Pediatrics - Cardiology

In brief: No, unless...

If they have a first degree relative with hcm their risk is high and they should be evaluated.
Otherwise if they have never had chest pain, palpitations or fainting with exercise, their risk is low.

In brief: No, unless...

Dr. Barton Cook
Dr. Barton Cook