5 doctors weighed in:

My child is two years old, and whenever I brush his teeth, he swallows tooth paste; is it dangerous?

5 doctors weighed in
Dr. Barry Bergman
Pediatrics
3 doctors agree

In brief: Its OK

Children most often swallow tooth paste.
Its part of the fun, it tastes so good. However, you should only put a pea sized amount on the brush so they can't swallow too much floride. Eventually they will stop swallowing the paste.

In brief: Its OK

Children most often swallow tooth paste.
Its part of the fun, it tastes so good. However, you should only put a pea sized amount on the brush so they can't swallow too much floride. Eventually they will stop swallowing the paste.
Dr. Barry Bergman
Dr. Barry Bergman
Thank
Dr. Jeffrey Jarvis
Dentistry

In brief: Yes

If he/she is not yet a good "spitter", make sure you are using a non-fluoridated toothpaste.
The concern is that too much Fluoride ingested at his age can negatively change the enamel on his teeth that are growing now under the gums. Practice spitting. Make a target in the sink, and get prepared to wash the mirror! soon as he/she spits well, start a fluoridated paste. -about the size of a pea.

In brief: Yes

If he/she is not yet a good "spitter", make sure you are using a non-fluoridated toothpaste.
The concern is that too much Fluoride ingested at his age can negatively change the enamel on his teeth that are growing now under the gums. Practice spitting. Make a target in the sink, and get prepared to wash the mirror! soon as he/she spits well, start a fluoridated paste. -about the size of a pea.
Dr. Jeffrey Jarvis
Dr. Jeffrey Jarvis
Thank
Get help from a real doctor now
Dr. Shontae Buffington
Board Certified, Pediatrics
13 years in practice
838K people helped
Continue
108,000 doctors available
Read more answers from doctors