5 doctors weighed in:
Is it dangerous for babies to be exposed to lead paint?
5 doctors weighed in

Dr. Laura Webb
Pediatrics
1 doctor agrees
In brief: Yes
Children are generally tested for lead exposure at 12 months and again at 5 years.
Houses built before 1950 generally have lead paint and if you live in one its a good idea to test the walls for lead exposure. Babies, especially when they become mobile, will eat paint chips and even a little lead may build up over time and can cause problems. Make sure your dr knows the age of your house.

In brief: Yes
Children are generally tested for lead exposure at 12 months and again at 5 years.
Houses built before 1950 generally have lead paint and if you live in one its a good idea to test the walls for lead exposure. Babies, especially when they become mobile, will eat paint chips and even a little lead may build up over time and can cause problems. Make sure your dr knows the age of your house.
Dr. Laura Webb
Dr. Laura Webb
Thank
Dr. Robert Kwok
Pediatrics
In brief: Yes
Lead is a naturally occurring element, and was used in homes and paint for generations before the most recent 30 years.
So, children growing up in older homes will likely have more lead exposure than kids living in new homes will have. A blood lead test is routinely done at age 1 year and 5 years, in communities with elevated lead exposures. Be sure toys are not painted with lead paint.

In brief: Yes
Lead is a naturally occurring element, and was used in homes and paint for generations before the most recent 30 years.
So, children growing up in older homes will likely have more lead exposure than kids living in new homes will have. A blood lead test is routinely done at age 1 year and 5 years, in communities with elevated lead exposures. Be sure toys are not painted with lead paint.
Dr. Robert Kwok
Dr. Robert Kwok
Thank
Dr. Holly Maes
Pediatrics
In brief: Yes
Even a little lead exposure is now known not to be a good thing, especially if it is going to be an ongoing exposure.
Even lead levels that are considered by many to be "normal", like 5-10 range, have been shown in studies to lower IQ by a few points. And we certainly know higher levels can lead to even worse long term neurologic problems. If you're concerned, simple tests can be done to check.

In brief: Yes
Even a little lead exposure is now known not to be a good thing, especially if it is going to be an ongoing exposure.
Even lead levels that are considered by many to be "normal", like 5-10 range, have been shown in studies to lower IQ by a few points. And we certainly know higher levels can lead to even worse long term neurologic problems. If you're concerned, simple tests can be done to check.
Dr. Holly Maes
Dr. Holly Maes
Thank
In brief: Yes
It is dangerous for babies to be exposed to lead paint in a form which can be ingested or breathed in.
For instance, if lead paint has peeled from the walls and the baby picks up a piece and eats it or if the paint has crumbled into dust over the years and is in the dirt in the yard, the baby can get it in his/her system. Elevated lead can be very dangerous to a child's brain.

In brief: Yes
It is dangerous for babies to be exposed to lead paint in a form which can be ingested or breathed in.
For instance, if lead paint has peeled from the walls and the baby picks up a piece and eats it or if the paint has crumbled into dust over the years and is in the dirt in the yard, the baby can get it in his/her system. Elevated lead can be very dangerous to a child's brain.
Dr. Sharon Gilliland
Dr. Sharon Gilliland
Thank
Get help from a real doctor now
Dr. Eric Weisman
Board Certified, Neurology
32 years in practice
9M people helped
Continue
108,000 doctors available
Read more answers from doctors