My boyfriend and I want to get married and have a child eventually, but he has hep c. What is the percent chance I would catch it?

Dr. Martin Raff
Internal Medicine - Infectious Disease

In brief: Difficult

First, he should be treated in an attempt to get rid of the hep c, which if active can produce severe liver damage and cancer in later years.
Sexual transmission is known, but the frequency varies dramatically. Have had several couples where one has had hep c for 30+ yrs and the other has never gotten it. If you share needles in illicit drug use, that would almost be a guarantee.

In brief: Difficult

Dr. Martin Raff
Dr. Martin Raff
Dr. Jane Van Dis