My baby is 4 months old and I am still nursing. Are prenatal vitamins mandatory for me?

In brief: Insurance for you

Your body can certainly make nutritionally balanced milk for baby if you follow a good diet.
Be aware that your body will extract nutrients like calcium from your bones when you don't take in enough for the daily need of both you and baby. Other deficient nutrients are also selectively sent to the milk. If anything, the vitamins assure that your system will not be sacrificed to maintain feeds.

In brief: Insurance for you

In brief: Maybe

If OB doesn't think you need them (anemia?), they aren't needed to produce good breast milk.
Eat a nutritionally complete diet, include extra calcium. Milk production takes calcium from your bones and can lead to thin bones. A varied diet varies the taste of breast milk and helps these children eat a wider variety of foods.If your diet isn't what it should be, consider a complete multivitamin.

In brief: Maybe

Dr. Ronda Dennis-Smithart
Dr. Ronda Dennis-Smithart
Dr. Cindy Juster