My 9 month old baby has pneumonia and I have him on his prescription antibiotic. Can he also take a cough medicine?

Dr. Reid Blackwelder
In brief: Agree no meds
I completely agree with dr bergman.
Please do not give any medications to your 9 month old. While it has been common practice in the past, and physicians often recommended drugs for cough and cold, recent studies have shown they do not help and may in fact cause harm. No child under 2 years old should take any cough/cold meds, including over the counter.

In brief: Agree no meds
I completely agree with dr bergman.
Dr. Reid Blackwelder
Dr. Reid Blackwelder
Dr. Barry Bergman
In brief: No
There really are no cough or cold medicines that are indicated for children that young.
The antibiotic and time should take care of the pneumonia. If he is coughing alot you can steam up your shower stall and let him breath in the warm mist. This can be helpful.

In brief: No
Dr. Barry Bergman
Dr. Barry Bergman
Dr. Steven Seres