My 1 1/2 year old child doesn't breathe when she cries hard. Sometimes she turns purple and passes out. How common is it?

In brief: Breath holding spell
A breath holding spell is a well recognized exaggeration of simple fitting behavior. Often but not always in response to being mad, these kids do it because it gets your attention.
I've seen it in late infancy up to preschool age.The brain will cause a faint before the kid can do damage. If you monitor this without looking at the kids eyes, they don't think you are looking & frequency can decline.

In brief: Breath holding spell
Dr. Cindy Juster