How do I know if my baby is hungry or tired?

In brief: Experience

Little babies will root, turning their head and opening their mouths in a movement of looking for the breast.
Tired babies tend not to make eye contact. It never hurts to try a feed. As you get to know your baby and his or her cries, you will become adept and knowing if baby is tired or hungry.

In brief: Experience

Dr. Victoria Acharya
Dr. Victoria Acharya

In brief: Read babies signals

First and foremost, do not equate sucking movements to hunger. Babies are prewired to suck 24/7.
My moms find it helpful to set a day pattern: 2 hr rest period/ immediate feeding/ body maintance followed by play until tired and then place in the crib for rest. Since feed/maintain/play lasts about an hour, hunger is unlikely. I let baby wake and set the time night feeds. A good pattern works.

In brief: Read babies signals

Dr. Sky Pittson

In brief: Infant Sleep

Newborns typically sleep 16-17 hours a day, waking every 2-4 hours both day and night, with increasing sleep periods as they get older. You may notice your baby sleeps slightly more just before a "growth spurt.
" the drowsy infant may appear to have heavy eyelids, look a bit dazed, have delayed reaction to stimuli, and may bring their hands to their face more as though to rub their eyes.

In brief: Infant Sleep

Dr. Sky Pittson
Dr. Sky Pittson
Dr. Marsha Davis