Is a palate expander useful for a child, or is it not much help?

Dr. Ryan Tamburrino
Dentistry - Orthodontics

In brief: Absolutely!

If the orthodontic diagnosis warrants correction of the width of the upper jaw, an expander is the most predictable and common way to correct this.
Speak to your orthodontist to determine if it is appropriate for your child and when.

In brief: Absolutely!

Dr. Ryan Tamburrino
Dr. Ryan Tamburrino
Dr. Michael Amster

In brief: Very useful

I feel old when i start answers with "in my day" but this one counts.
Today's youth wears braces for a couple years at most while we had them for 4-5 years. Palate expanders and other technology help move teeth and jaws much faster. Trust the orthodontist. Things have come a long way over the years.

In brief: Very useful

Dr. Michael Amster
Dr. Michael Amster
Dr. Babak Jouhari
Dentistry

In brief: Its useful

It is very useful, generally between the ages 6 to 12 or as long as the palatal bones are not fuzed in the mid palatal line.

In brief: Its useful

Dr. Babak Jouhari
Dr. Babak Jouhari
Dr. Arnold Malerman
Dentistry - Orthodontics

In brief: Very useful

If your child's upper jaw is narrower than it should be in relation to width of lower jaw, palatal expansion is absolutely required.
To evaluate jaw width see an orthodontic specialist who can tell you what's wrong, what can be done to fix it, and the best time to do rx. Palatal expansion is an interceptive orthodontic procedure that should be done early for best result.

In brief: Very useful

Dr. Arnold Malerman
Dr. Arnold Malerman