If I get vaccinated against influenza. Does my baby get any immunity from my vaccine, being breast-fed?

Dr. Martin Raff
Internal Medicine - Infectious Disease

In brief: Passive immunity

Yes, you can pass antibodies to baby through colostrum in breast milk, but these will not confer long lasting immunity.

In brief: Passive immunity

Dr. Martin Raff
Dr. Martin Raff

In brief: See below

The greatest degree of protection conferred by your vaccine is because you are less likely to get the influenza, and therefore not expose your baby.
Have everyone around your baby get vaccinated too.

In brief: See below

Dr. Ronda Dennis-Smithart
Dr. Ronda Dennis-Smithart

In brief: A little

Breast feeding transfers primarily IgA antibodies that help reduce germ adherence to/entry through to the tissues in the digestive tract.
A small amount of IgG is passed, but not enough to be protective. The Flu shot helps you develop IgG (not IgA) to the flu & getting it while pregnant does protect newborns for a few months.Having mom immune reduces exposure risk.

In brief: A little

Dr. Peter Kurzweil