I can never stay focused, even when I was a child; could this mean some sort of mental illness?

Dr. Susan Uhrich

In brief: Maybe.

There are any number of things that can cause trouble focusing.
Why not make an appointment with a psychiatrist for an evaluation? You have nothing to loose and potentially a lot to gain.

In brief: Maybe.

Dr. Susan Uhrich
Dr. Susan Uhrich
Dr. Chris Esguerra

In brief: Evaluation

Getting an evaluation from a psychiatrist can help determine the cause of your inability to maintain focus.
Depending on any other symptoms, there may be a diagnosis or other causes. Regardless, the evaluation will likely lead to ways to the address the problem.

In brief: Evaluation

Dr. Chris Esguerra
Dr. Chris Esguerra
Dr. Yash Khanna
It seems you had attention deficit disorder as a child and now as an adult you have adult attention deficit disorder.You should consult with your family doctor,there are medications approved for ADD in adults,if your problem is effecting your work or busuness you can be helped.
Dr. Cindy Juster