How long do you have to wait after having a baby to get the essure procedure?

Dr. Hector Chapa

In brief: 6 weeks

According to the fda, the uterus must heal after delivery for 6 weeks before the essure procedure.
The procedure itself is very brief and at times may be done in the physician's office, under local anesthesia. After 3 months, a test is done to confirm you have permanent birth control. Go to essure.Com for more info.

In brief: 6 weeks

Dr. Hector Chapa
Dr. Hector Chapa
Dr. Ronald De la Pena

In brief: 12 wks

Best to let the uterus return to normal size?

In brief: 12 wks

Dr. Ronald De la Pena
Dr. Ronald De la Pena
Dr. Wesley Grootwassink

In brief: 6 weeks

The uterus should return to normal size 6 weeks after childbirth.
That is the earliest i would normally do an essure.

In brief: 6 weeks

Dr. Wesley Grootwassink
Dr. Wesley Grootwassink
Dr. Miguel Cano

In brief: 2-3 months

After having a baby, I have patients wait at least 2 months before proceeding to an essure procedure.
This allows recovery from childbirth, allows the uterus to return to normal, & gives me enough time to thin the lining with progesterone. It also gives moms the time needed to see if permanent birth control is still desired.

In brief: 2-3 months

Dr. Miguel Cano
Dr. Miguel Cano
Dr. Jumnah Thanapathy

In brief: 3 months

The recommendation is 3 months.
This gives the uterine lining time to thin out so that the tubal openings can be seen clearly. However, if you are breast feeding and receive the Depo Provera (medroxyprogesterone) shot at 6 weeks it can be done 9 weeks postpartum without any difficulties.

In brief: 3 months

The recommendation is 3 months.
Dr. Jumnah Thanapathy
Dr. Jumnah Thanapathy
Dr. Adam Levy