How common is a child with ear infection resistant to antibiotics?

Common. Many common bacteria dev elop resistance to commonly used antibiotics. Sometimes a second course of a different antibiotic may be necessary, and it can takes several weeks or up to 2 months before fluid completely clears from behind a childs ear drum following an acute infection.
Common enough. In the past the cited numbers were 5-10% failure with first med (no matter how expensive), 30% after moving to 2nd drug and less with 3rd & thereafter. The muck behind the ear drum can become as thick as axel grease so meds don't penetrate. It is important not to judge failure too quickly, fluid can remain for 6-8 weeks after germs clear out.