Does the vitamin E in vitamin E creams really do anything for stretch marks or skin scars?

Yes and no. In my experience, scar massage (with or without vitamin e) can be very helpful for speeding the improvement in the appearance of scars. Unfortunately, I have not found it to be helpful for stretch marks.
I doubt it. There is no credible evidence that i'm aware of that vitamin E decreases scars or stretch marks; one study concluded that it actually made scars worse! I do have patients that swear it worked on their stretch marks, but stretch marks improve on their own sometimes; i've never been able to persuade anyone to apply it to one side of the body and not the other, to find out for sure.