Does the vitamin E in vitamin E creams really do anything for stretch marks or skin scars?

Dr. Steven Harris
Surgery - Plastics
In brief: Yes and no
In my experience, scar massage (with or without vitamin e) can be very helpful for speeding the improvement in the appearance of scars.
Unfortunately, I have not found it to be helpful for stretch marks.

In brief: Yes and no
Dr. Steven Harris
Dr. Steven Harris
Dr. Joseph Eastern
Dermatology
In brief: I doubt it.
There is no credible evidence that i'm aware of that vitamin E decreases scars or stretch marks; one study concluded that it actually made scars worse! I do have patients that swear it worked on their stretch marks, but stretch marks improve on their own sometimes; i've never been able to persuade anyone to apply it to one side of the body and not the other, to find out for sure.

In brief: I doubt it.
Dr. Joseph Eastern
Dr. Joseph Eastern
Dr. Dennis Higginbotham