Does my unborn baby get pneumonia during pregnancy if I have bronchitispneumonia?

Dr. Michael DePietro
Internal Medicine - Pulmonary Critical Care
In brief: No
No the baby would not typically get pneumonia.

In brief: No
Dr. Michael DePietro
Dr. Michael DePietro
Dr. Wayne Ingram
In brief: No
However, if your pneumonia progreses to a "blood infection" (sepsis), it can infect the fetus.

In brief: No
Dr. Wayne Ingram
Dr. Wayne Ingram
In brief: Basic rule
Infections you may experience, like those in an ear, pneumonia, UTI, skin & throat are isolated to their specific area.
Your baby is protected by tissue barriers and its only exposure to you directly is through the placenta. Only an infection that travels in the blood could cross the placenta and effect baby. Measles, flu, & similar infections can, but your pneumonia won't.

In brief: Basic rule
Dr. Dennis Higginbotham