Does focalin (dexmethylphenidate) work better or worse or differently than the other add drugs on kids?

Dr. Johanna Fricke
Pediatrics - Developmental & Behavioral

In brief: Same

As the drs. Said, it's the right half of the methylphenidate molecule & the dose is 1/2 that of ritalin.
Focalin (dexmethylphenidate) xr's onset is 30 minutes & it lasts ~ 10 hours. Because it releases 1/2 the dose initially & the other 1/2 4 hours later, some kids get "rebound " symptoms late am if they are " rapid metabolizers"& the the first dose wears off before the 2nd kicks in, requiring increasing the dose.

In brief: Same

Dr. Johanna Fricke
Dr. Johanna Fricke
Dr. Glen Elliott
Pediatrics - Psychiatry

In brief: It is a stimulant

Focalin (dexmethylphenidate) is the active half of methylphenidate (ritalin), so it's major difference is that it takes half as much to have the same effect.
It also lasts longer than methylphenidate. Some claim is is "milder, " but that is unproven. Side effects and benefits basically are the same as other stimulants.

In brief: It is a stimulant

Dr. Glen Elliott
Dr. Glen Elliott
Dr. Jon Ahrendsen

In brief: Depends on the Child

Unfortunately this depends on the individual, and you cannot with 100% certainty know how one med for adhd will work on one patient until you try it.
I have had patients do wonderful with focalin, (dexmethylphenidate) and I have had patients do horrible on it. You just have to try it and watch carefully for the presence of benefits, and the absence of side effects. If Focalin (dexmethylphenidate) doesn't work there are many others.

In brief: Depends on the Child

Dr. Jon Ahrendsen
Dr. Jon Ahrendsen
Dr. Jonathan Jassey