Does a child have klinefelter syndrome due to his own mutation or due to mutations his parents carry?

Pathology

In brief: Extra X chromosome

There is not a mutation in the conventional sense as none of the genes are abnormal.
The phenotypic male, with a y chromosome, has more than on x chromosome, associated with poor testicular development, infertility and obesity.

In brief: Extra X chromosome

2 comments
Dr. Johanna Fricke
I thought about putting "Non-disjunction" in the summary box, so i'm glad you made that point. I don't find that summary box useful.
Dr. Johanna Fricke
Dr. Johanna Fricke
Pediatrics - Developmental & Behavioral

In brief: New mutation

Klinefelter syndrome happens in males who have an extra x chromosome (xxy).
It happens when there is an error in separation of the "sex chromosomes, "50% of the time in the mother's cells of reproduction and 50% of the time in the father's. Learning and behavior problems often occur along with the physical/ medical problems. There is a national parent support group.

In brief: New mutation

Dr. Johanna Fricke
Dr. Johanna Fricke