Could my baby have a congenital heart defect and nobody know about it?

In brief: Yes.
ASD in particular is very hard to detect on exam.

In brief: Yes.
Dr. Anatoly Belilovsky
Dr. Anatoly Belilovsky
Dr. Barton Cook
Pediatrics - Cardiology
Most severe defects will be found quickly.
Some of my patients were diagnosed between 6 months and 3 years old. A few defects such as ASD (atrial septal defect) may not be diagnosed until adulthood.

Dr. Barton Cook
Dr. Barton Cook
In brief: Define defect
The complexity of how the heart forms gives rise to many possible errors, defects.
The worst are diagnosed within hours of birth. Some significant ones ( VSD,ASD, AS) are usually picked up on exam in the first weeks. Some are normal structures that may malfunction.(PDA) Rare re-routing of heart blood supply can be undetected. A PFO is a normal incidental finding on an autopsy in most people.

In brief: Define defect
Dr. Shontae Buffington