Could my baby have a congenital heart defect and nobody know about it?

Yes. ASD in particular is very hard to detect on exam.
Yes. Most severe defects will be found quickly. Some of my patients were diagnosed between 6 months and 3 years old. A few defects such as ASD (atrial septal defect) may not be diagnosed until adulthood.
Define defect. The complexity of how the heart forms gives rise to many possible errors, defects. The worst are diagnosed within hours of birth. Some significant ones ( VSD,ASD, AS) are usually picked up on exam in the first weeks. Some are normal structures that may malfunction.(PDA) Rare re-routing of heart blood supply can be undetected. A PFO is a normal incidental finding on an autopsy in most people.