How rare is macular degeneration vision impairment?

Frequent in elderly. There are a few rare macular degeneration (md) cases in the young but most md is in the elderly. Vision changes can be from minor to severe depending upon the individual. The frequency increases with age up to about 17% affected in those over age 90. If you or a family member/friend has this problem, they should see a retinal specialist for evaluation and possible treatment.
Fairly common. Macular degeneration was the most common cause of legal blindness in individuals over 50. With modern treatment strategies, severe vision loss is much less common, but updated statistics do not yet exist. Some degree of vision impairment usually develops with this chronic degenerative disease over time. The earliest symptoms include delay in adjusting to dim light ; needing more light to read.