What causes tracheomalacia?

Dr. James Sidman
ENT - Head & Neck Surgery - Pediatric

In brief: Uncommon

Tracheomalacia is collapse of the trachea (the windpipe) and is often confused with laryngomalacia which is collapse of the voicebox (which is above the trachea).
Tracheomalacia is quite uncommon in infants except those with repaired t-e fistulas, and those with unrepaired vascular rings.

In brief: Uncommon

Dr. James Sidman
Dr. James Sidman
Dr. Eric Toloza
Surgery - Thoracic

In brief: Weak tracheal cartil

Weakening of the cartilage "rings" along the front of the trachea, which causes the trachea to flatten .
.. Some consider invagination of the soft back wall of the trachea also as tracheomalacia ... I disagree, but effect is same, narrowing of the tracheal lumen and some difficulty breathing.

In brief: Weak tracheal cartil

Dr. Eric Toloza
Dr. Eric Toloza
Dr. Adam Smith