I have a developmentally delayed son with odd behaviour. I have suspected autism, but his mother is in denial.Please suggest a course of action that we can take.

In brief: Consider CHAT screen

When infants and toddlers show developmental delay, parents often blame themselves for delays which could not have been foreseen or prevented.
I would recommend a chat autism screen as well as a denver developmental screen by your pediatrician. If 2 or more delays in speech, fine motor or gross motor skills, your pedi should refer you to a developmental specialist and speech/physical therapy.

In brief: Consider CHAT screen

Dr. Tammi Schlichtemeier
Dr. Tammi Schlichtemeier
Dr. Glen Elliott
Pediatrics - Psychiatry

In brief: Be more active

Too often, fathers have a tendency to leave the bulk of care to the mother, mostly because it works.
However, if you have a concern and your wife does not share it, then take initiative and, at a minimum arrange for all three of you to visit his pediatrician about what is happening. If necessary, arrange an evaluation with a person or group with autism expertise.

In brief: Be more active

Dr. Glen Elliott
Dr. Glen Elliott
Dr. Johanna Fricke
Pediatrics - Developmental & Behavioral

In brief: You (He) can't wait

For mom to come aboard.
Use the developmental & autism-specific screens at firstsigns.Org, then take him & the results to his pediatrician for a referral to a developmental/behavioral pediatrician. At the same time, call your state's early intervention program if < 3 yrs. Or child find of your local school district if 3 or > for treatment. The earlier the intervention, the better the outcome.

In brief: You (He) can't wait

For mom to come aboard.
Dr. Johanna Fricke
Dr. Johanna Fricke
Dr. Mark Patterson

In brief: Talk to doctor

Has your son been evaluated by a developmental pediatrician in order to make the diagnosis of developmental delay? If so, they should be able to address the question of autism.
If not, talk to your son's pediatrician regarding your concerns. There is not treatment for autism, but children who receive therapy seem to do better overall.

In brief: Talk to doctor

Dr. Mark Patterson
Dr. Mark Patterson
Dr. Cindy Juster