Can sids come back in the same family?

Dr. Derrick Lonsdale
Preventive Medicine
In brief: In some families
The medical literature has reported that an occasional familial risk has been noted.
In one case i know of, a mother found that she and her husband were first cousins without their prior knowledge.First cousin marriages are at risk of both partners carrying the same recessive gene. I think that this is uncommon if not rare.

In brief: In some families
Dr. Derrick Lonsdale
Dr. Derrick Lonsdale
In brief: Unlikely if ever
Unfortunately, this rare event has sometimes been found to represent child abuse rather than a genetic event.
One such family had 3 losses before mothers mental illness was uncovered and previous "familial" sids speculation ended. It could happen, but is is important for every infant death to be thoroughly evaluated.

In brief: Unlikely if ever
Dr. Cindy Juster