Can smoke inhalation cause asthma?

Dr. Gary Steven
Internal Medicine - Allergy & Immunology
In brief: Possibly
It depends on what you mean.
Inhaling virtually any type of smoke will trigger an asthma attack in those whose asthma is not well controlled, and often even in those in whom it is. For a non asthmatic, significant smoke inhalation, such as being in a burning building, can damage the lungs in such a way as to cause asthma. I have a firefighter in my practice on permanent disability for this.

In brief: Possibly
It depends on what you mean.
Dr. Gary Steven
Dr. Gary Steven
Dr. Katharine Garnier
There are also studies that show that children of parents who smoke are at higher risk of developing asthma, even if the parents "go outside" to smoke.
Dr. Lee Perry
In brief: Definitely a trigger
Cigarette smoke and other "smoke inhalation" can trigger asthma symptoms due to causing irritation to the airway.

In brief: Definitely a trigger
Dr. Lee Perry
Dr. Lee Perry
Dr. Cindy Juster