Can smoke inhalation cause asthma?

Possibly. It depends on what you mean. Inhaling virtually any type of smoke will trigger an asthma attack in those whose asthma is not well controlled, and often even in those in whom it is. For a non asthmatic, significant smoke inhalation, such as being in a burning building, can damage the lungs in such a way as to cause asthma. I have a firefighter in my practice on permanent disability for this.
Definitely a trigger. Cigarette smoke and other "smoke inhalation" can trigger asthma symptoms due to causing irritation to the airway.