How long do I have to wait after a nuclear medicine thyroid scan, i-123, to have a fna biopsy and/or thyroid blood tests?

Dr. Luke Bolek
Nuclear Medicine

In brief: You don't wait.

Generaly speaking you do not need to wait at all after having an I 123 thyroid scan to have a biopsy.
You usually have the biopsy scheduled after the results of the thyroid scan are interpreted which usually takes a day. The radiation from the I 123 is minimal .

In brief: You don't wait.

Dr. Luke Bolek
Dr. Luke Bolek
Dr. Brian Wosnitzer
Nuclear Medicine

In brief: Radiation...

The physical half life of I-123 is approximately 13 hours.
To avoid radiating the person doing the biopsy, you could wait until it clears from your system. Other than that, waiting is not necessary.

In brief: Radiation...

Dr. Brian Wosnitzer
Dr. Brian Wosnitzer
Dr. Cesar Sturla

In brief: Any time

Fna of thyroid can be done any time.
Most of the time thyroid hormones are not affected by thyroid scans with i-123. However, in some occasions, depending on the iodine status and the condition of the thyroid there might be a decrease uptake of iodine by thyroid and cause transient hypothyroidism ( wolf-chiakoff phenomenon ).

In brief: Any time

Fna of thyroid can be done any time.
Dr. Cesar Sturla
Dr. Cesar Sturla
Dr. Marsha Davis