Is a colonoscopy the only test for colon cancer? Can a fit test replace the colonoscopy? Is it painful to have a colonoscopy awake?

Colonoscopy. Every person (even asymptomatic) after age of 50 should undergo screening colonoscopy. If there is a family history of colon cancer screening should be done earlier. Awake? Why? I won't recommend to do it being awake might not be a pleasant experience.
Colonoscopy. A tissue diagnosis is necessary to determine the presence of cancer of the colon, and colonoscopy is the most convenient way to do it;otherwise an open operation would be needed. A mild anesthesia is used as colonoscopy would be quite uncomfortable without it.