Is it common to cry during psychological counseling?

Dr. Chris Esguerra

In brief: Emotional moments

Emotionally charged material can come up during counseling/therapy thus prompting one to feel the emotion and cry.
This occurs and one should feel safe to express such emotions with their therapist.

In brief: Emotional moments

Dr. Chris Esguerra
Dr. Chris Esguerra
Dr. Andrew Berry
Clinical Psychology

In brief: I have seen tears

I have seen patients cry many times in my practice, and likely will see this many more times.
Sadness is part of the human spectrum of emotions, and if patients cannot feel sadness, they likely will not feel much of anything else, either. Crying is a normal expression of emotions, and should not be thought of as abnormal, be stigmatized, ignored, or ridiculed.

In brief: I have seen tears

Dr. Andrew Berry
Dr. Andrew Berry
Dr. Alan Ali

In brief: Crying

That depends on the topic being discussed during the session.
Can be a healthy way to vent, called catharsis.

In brief: Crying

Dr. Alan Ali
Dr. Alan Ali
Dr. Ernest Bordini
Clinical Psychology

In brief: Gosh yes!

Standard fare in office are desk, chairs, a couch, and tissue paper. Crying is a relief for emotional upset or tension.
Since dealing with losses or working through painful experiences or realizations is part of therapy - cyring is not unusual. Now some therapists have better senses of humor than others, and we sometimes see tears of laughter or joy too - its ultimately a human endeavor.

In brief: Gosh yes!

Dr. Ernest Bordini
Dr. Ernest Bordini
Dr. Cindy Juster