I would like an honest opinion on how much pain is expected in the process of putting dental implants in where a denture will be attached to implants.

Dr. Alan Rosenfeld
Dentistry

In brief: Minimal

Most often placing dental implants in patients missing all teeth on the jaw being treated has a minimal postoperative course.
Usually 2-4 fixtures are placed in areas with the most bone. . Antibiotics are given. Ice compresses should be used for 20 minutes of every hour the day of surgery till bedtime . Tylenol (acetaminophen) or Ibuprofen is usually adequate to control any discomfort.

In brief: Minimal

In brief: Short term Soreness

Having had 2 extractions and 2 implants placed at the same time personally, I can honestly tell you that the pain is minimal.
I was a little sore for a day or two and the area healed quickly! Both my procedures were done with local anesthesia, so there is nothing to fear. Over the counter Advil (ibuprofen) was all I needed for complete comfort and only for a couple of days. You'll love you implant denture!

In brief: Short term Soreness

Dr. John Thaler
Dentistry - Prosthodontics

In brief: Very little

Typically, local anesthesia and about 20 minutes of placement and suturing.
Conscious sedation is also available, but frequently not needed. Soreness from the numbing and tissue manipulation is about it. No bone pain. If you are to be wearing the denture while healing, it MUST be relieved/ relined with a soft tissue conditioner (i.e. Coe Soft) to keep pressure off the implants for 100 days.

In brief: Very little

Dr. Paul Grin
Pain Management

In brief: Implant placement

Routinely done in the dentist's or oral surgeon's office.
The appropriate anesthesia for your surgery is the key for success. It depends on the complexity of the surgery and your own comfort level. After the surgery you will receive instruction and medication for speedy recovery and healing. Rec.: choose an experience dentist or an oral surgeon or any other dental implantologist.

In brief: Implant placement

Dr. Peter Kurzweil