How can I tell if I have a migraine or a sinus headache?

Dr. Patrick Melder
ENT - Head & Neck Surgery

In brief: CT of head/sinuses

A good clinical exam can usually distinguish a migraine from sinusitis.
The definitive exam for sinusitis is a ct of the sinuses. A ct of the head is important for migraine.... But usually a good exam by a neurologist can determine if you have migraines.

In brief: CT of head/sinuses

Dr. Brijesh Chandwani
Pain Management

In brief: Nature of pain

Migraine headaches can often be triggered by exercise, red wines, certain foods, stress and sleep disorders; the pain is usually on one side of the head and typically throbbing.
Sinus headaches are often bilateral and tend to be on front of the head/face; pain is often pressure like. Consult your pcp for a comprehensive evaluation.

In brief: Nature of pain

Dr. William Forsythe
Board Certified, Emergency Medicine