Is clonazepam better than Ambien (zolpidem) for sleep in terms of side effects?

Understand. They have the same exact mechanism of action. Ambient better for initiation, Clonazepam better for maintaining. Both will result in dependence and rebound insomnia with prolonged use. Also there will be increased irritability 12-24 hrs later.
Both are effective. Clonazepam can help you to fall a sleep fast and maintain the sleep longer. Hence, have less fatigue in the morning. Ambien (zolpidem) is a prescription drug for the short-term treatment of insomnia. It is a short-acting nonbenzodiazepine hypnotic. Rec. See your pcp for more information and proper treatment that will address your needs.