Ankle was sprained 3.5 months ago, xray 2 weeks later was neg. Still feeling a stabbing burning pain in my foot and my ankle bone is tender. Help?

Dr. James Rochester

In brief: MRI Good idea

If the pain is on the outside of the ankle, one also has to consider injury to the peroneus tendons that run on the outside of the lower leg, just behind the bone at the ankle then into the foot.
Very commonly injured when you sprain you ankle and very commonly missed. MRI good idea. I will see this and other possible things like occult fracture, joint surface injury (talar dome). Good luck.

In brief: MRI Good idea

Dr. James Rochester
Dr. James Rochester
Dr. Edgar Mendizabal

In brief: A normal

Xray means yhere is no bone injury.
You need an MRI yo asses your soft tissues.

In brief: A normal

Xray means yhere is no bone injury.
Dr. Edgar Mendizabal
Dr. Edgar Mendizabal
Dr. Jeffrey Kass
I would recommend physical therapy, and agree at this point an MRI would help determine extent of injury.

In brief: May need MRI

You may need an MRI to check for a crack in the cartilage on your ankle bone.
This is often not seen initially on xrays and can cause the symptoms you are describing. I recommend you see a podiatrist and get an MRI.

In brief: May need MRI

Dr. Robert Hadfield
Dr. Robert Hadfield
Dr. Eric Weisman