Can I take focalin (dexmethylphenidate) in the morning and Adderall later on in the day?

Better combination. You could use that combination. However another consideration would use Focalin (dexmethylphenidate) Xr in the morning and short acting methylphenidate, a related medication in the afternoon.
Combination for ADHD. It is very common and necessary at times, to combine medications for adhd since they don't last long enough in the system to cover all the needs in one day at work or at school. Sometimes this strategy is better in terms of safety as well, since some medications may produce more side effects than others in one person. As long as your doctor check for your safety, that seems ok.