What are the types of hydrocephalus?

Dr. Gerald Mandell
Nuclear Medicine

In brief: Acquired/congenital

Congenital Causes of Hydrocephalus Aqueductal stenosis Intraventricular hemorrhage Myelomeningocele (spina bifida) – Chiari II malformation Dandy-Walker Malformation Acquired causes of hydrocephalus Trauma Hemorrhage Tumor Infection Idiopathic Normal pressure hydrocephalus Pseudotumor cerebrii Multicompartmental (loculated) hydrocephalus Trapped fourth ventricle

In brief: Acquired/congenital

Dr. Gerald Mandell
Dr. Gerald Mandell

In brief: Congen or acqurired

Hydrocephalus, is due to increases secretion or decreased absorption, or blockage of cerebro -spinal fluid (CSF) results in a increased intracranial pressure and causing neurological damage.
It could be 1) a congenital malformation, born with as a developmental defect , or 2) acquired disease as in strokes, tumors, infections like meningitis etc.

In brief: Congen or acqurired

Dr. Addagada Rao
Dr. Addagada Rao
Dr. Paul Cohen

In brief: Water on the brain..

Hydrocephalus is literally "water on the brain".
There are vairous classifications based upon how it arrived(congenital or acquired); how the spinal fluid is affected(communicating or obstructive), and some names for some of the more obscure types.

In brief: Water on the brain..

Dr. Paul Cohen
Dr. Paul Cohen
Dr. Edison McDaniels
Neurosurgery

In brief: Several types

I have discussed this question in detail on my own blog.
Go to http://wp.me/s382os-hydrolog and download the free monograph HYDROCEPHALUS: An Owner's Manual. It's free. This is written for the lay person. It's brief, interesting, and informative. It's not encyclopedic, but it will answer most of your questions. Enough anyway, so you will know what to ask your doc. Good luck.

In brief: Several types

Dr. Edison McDaniels
Dr. Edison McDaniels