Why is trigeminal neuraligia considered a peripheral neuropathy even though it is a problem with a cranial nerve not a peripheral nerve?

Dr. Nader Roheny

In brief: Because

Because the involved nerve is the last post synaptic "axon" that leaves for the "periphery".
Any involvement prior to that ("pre synaptic")would have been a central lesion.

In brief: Because

Dr. Nader Roheny
Dr. Nader Roheny

In brief: My classification

Pathology afflicting the trigeminal nerve would be anatomically involvement of one or more branches of a cranial nerve, and ergo, trigeminal neuralgia is a disorder of cranial, not peripheral nerves.
At least, this is traditional anatomy. Is this now "politically incorrect"?

In brief: My classification

Dr. Vikram Patel
Central pain originates from the brain or the spinal cord. Once the nerves leave the cranium or the spinal canal they become "peripheral". Cranial nerves leave through the cranium and spinal nerves leave through spinal canal.
Dr. Vikram Patel