I've read that oxytocin has helped those with autism. Is that true?

Dr. Glen Elliott
Pediatrics - Psychiatry
In brief: Under study
There are reports that individuals (mostly adults) with asperger's disorder and high-functioning autism who use inhaled oxytocin so that it gets into the brain find themselves feeling more inclinded to be social, at least for a time.
No studies suggest permanent changes, and it is unlikely to be a "cure" for autism, although it is an interest research lead.

In brief: Under study
Dr. Glen Elliott
Dr. Glen Elliott
Dr. Rudolf Brutoco
Pediatrics - Psychiatry
In brief: Not quite.
Oxytocin has potentially beneficial effects that are causing us to work further on assessing its value.
There is enough info to suggest it plays a role in helping people "bond"/relate & also in decreasing anxiety. I've just begun using it with specific fda authorization in our autistic patients. We'll have more info soon. Limitations include short half-life & the overly dilute nasal spray.

In brief: Not quite.
Dr. Rudolf Brutoco
Dr. Rudolf Brutoco
Dr. Cindy Juster