My child does not have a shunt, does he/she still have hydrocephaly?

Dr. Cristina Carballo
Pediatrics - Neonatology

In brief: Possibly

I imaging you are asking that if your child has increased fluid in the brain, but not a shunt does that mean there is hydrocephaly.
Yes, any increase in fluid is hydrocephaly. Sometimes a shunt is not needed because the brain tissue is not impacted and sometimes , if the hydrocephaly is not under pressure, a shunt will not help.

In brief: Possibly

Dr. Cristina Carballo
Dr. Cristina Carballo

In brief: See below

If your child has a big head, and had a normal imaging study, then they have macrocephally, large head.
And the child will not need a shunt.

In brief: See below

And the child will not need a shunt.
Dr. Anthony LaBarbera
Dr. Anthony LaBarbera
Dr. Jack Hinkle
Board Certified, Family Medicine