What treatments are for liver failure?

Mucomyst (acetylcysteine) Mucomyst (acetylcysteine) is an available treatment option for acute liver failure. But if not successful then liver transplant is necessary which most times will be an orthotopic.
Transplant. The only real treatment for liver failure is liver transplant. There are some things that can be done short term when the liver is not working well over the short term to help the body clear the toxins that are normally cleared by the liver. But in the end, only a new liver will get the job done. Fortunaly, a partial transplant of part of a donor liver is possible.