Whats the average percent of oxygen in the blood ? I'm a heavy smoker and when i got checked at triage i had 99percent it said . But scarring in lungs

Dr. Brendan Rice

In brief: Quit smoking...

A normal oxygen saturation that is measured the way you are talking about is typically greater than 95% in your age range (down to as low as 90% in someone with chronic lung problems).
The effects of smoking don't always show up on an oxygen saturation percentage until a chronic lung condition has set in, so don't let that lead you to believe everything is normal. I would advise quitting.

In brief: Quit smoking...

Dr. Brendan Rice
Dr. Brendan Rice
Dr. Aaron Milstone
Board Certified, Internal Medicine - Pulmonology