I'm 6 weeks pregnant I have asthma. My dr said to stop my symbicort (budesonide and formoterol) n ventolin..But i've read my asthma needs to be controlled. Is my dr wrong?

Dr. Lily Hwang
Pediatrics - Allergy & Asthma

In brief: Control your asthma

See an asthma specialist to help you manage your asthma.
1/3 of pregnant patients will have worsening asthma, 1/3 would have improvement of their asthma, and 1/3 will have their asthma stay the same. You want to use the least amount of medications to keep your asthma under control. Your asthma specialist may be able to help decrease your medications safely and monitor you closely during pregnancy.

In brief: Control your asthma

Dr. Lily Hwang
Dr. Lily Hwang
Dr. Miriam Anand
Internal Medicine - Allergy & Immunology

In brief: See a specialist

Controlling asthma during pregnancy is critical.
"if mom's not breathing, baby's not breathing." symbicort (budesonide and formoterol) and medications like it are technically category c, but many pregnant women have taken them throughout pregnancy with no known trouble. While ventolin (or albuterol) is also category c, albuterol has been around for decades and has no known ill effects during pregnancy. See a specialist.

In brief: See a specialist

Dr. Miriam Anand
Dr. Miriam Anand
Dr. Gary Steven

In brief: Probably

If your asthma is severe enough that symbicort (budesonide and formoterol) is appropriate for you, you should definitely continue it in pregnancy.
The risk to the baby of uncontrolled asthma is far greater than any possible risk of asthma meds. All pregnant asthmatics should seek the care of an allergist to maximize asthma control in mom, and prevent allergies in the baby, to as great an extent as possible.

In brief: Probably

Dr. Gary Steven
Dr. Gary Steven
Dr. William Forsythe
Board Certified, Emergency Medicine