Should I have my gallbladder removed due to having polyps inside of it?

Dr. Mark Pack
Surgery

In brief: Discuss with surgeon

Gallbladder polyps may be true polyps or may be stones forming in the wall of your gallbladder. Are you having symptoms? Have you seen a surgeon? I recommend you see a surgeon to discuss this matter further.

In brief: Discuss with surgeon

Dr. Mark Pack
Dr. Mark Pack
Dr. David Earle
Surgery

In brief: Depends

Smaller polyps can be safely watched, but polyps larger than 1-2cm or polyps that are enlarging should prompt removal.
If your super worried, removal may also be considered. See a general surgeon for a consultation to find out more about your situation. No urgency to this. Hope this helps!

In brief: Depends

Dr. David Earle
Dr. David Earle

In brief: Possibly

Gallbladder polyps are usually benign, especially if less than 1 cm in diameter, and don't cause too many problems.
However they are sometimes associated with cancer of the gallbladder, which is a very aggressive type of cancer. Discuss with your surgeon, the safest thing is to remove the gallbladder, especially if the polyp is large.

In brief: Possibly

Dr. Jeffrey Clemens
Dr. Jeffrey Clemens

In brief: Maybe

If you are having symptoms such as pain, nausea or vomiting or fatty food intolerance, and you have any abnormality of your gallbladder, including a small polyp, I usually recommend removal of your gallbladder. If you are otherwise without symptoms, then watching it and reserving removal for in case it grows is appropriate.

In brief: Maybe

Dr. Mark Dickson
Dr. Mark Dickson
Dr. Troy Reyna
Surgery - Pediatric

In brief: Depends

Are you symptomatic? Are the polyps growing? If yes to either question then you might consider it.

In brief: Depends

Dr. Troy Reyna
Dr. Troy Reyna

In brief: Depends

Gallbladder polyps seen on ultrasound or other modalities are actually frequently stones, although polyps can occur. The decision to have a cholecystectomy or not comes down to whether you are having symptoms that can be traced to your gallbladder. If these symptoms are present, cholecystectomy is recommended.
If not, periodic follow up is advised.

In brief: Depends

If not, periodic follow up is advised.
Dr. Michael Sawyer
Dr. Michael Sawyer
Dr. Buck Parker
Board Certified, Surgery