What blood tests will detect coronary heart disease/ heart artery build up? Any tests? Would the d dimer test show?

Dr. Bennett Werner
Internal Medicine - Cardiology

In brief: None

The sad reality is that there's no blood test for atherosclerosis.
The d-dimer test most assuredly will not. An ultra sensitive c-reactive protein will address the probability of developing buildup but will not tell you if you have it. Electron beam ct which provides calcium score gets you closer but is not a blood test. Please read my comment:.

In brief: None

Dr. Bennett Werner
Dr. Bennett Werner
2 comments
Dr. Bennett Werner
Even a stress test will only provide a probability. Even a coronary angiogram is a poor screening test because it will show blockage but not tell you if it's active, dangerous, or changing in people who have no symptoms. We simply have no good screening test for this serious condition!
Dr. Bennett Werner
A CT angio can rule out disease but is poor at quantifying disease when present. An echo can show damage but that's a late finding. Honestly, I'm asked this question often. What you want (and what I want too) is a crystal ball: a test that will tell us when something bad is going to happen so we can intervene beforehand. That test doesn't exist so "intervene" now by lowering your risks.
Dr. Joseph Woods
Pathology

In brief: Many tests.

An early test would be a stress test with an electrocardiogram or ecg.
This is done until there are symptoms and/or st segment changes on ecg, and/or target heart rate is achieved. Thallium 201 imaging makes it more sensitive and specific. The definiitive test is coronary arteriography to see the arteries. A d-dimer test checks for fibrin degradation products for deep vein/lung (pe)thrombosis.

In brief: Many tests.

Dr. Joseph Woods
Dr. Joseph Woods
Dr. Peter Kurzweil