Sprained my ankle 4 weeks ago and still have a lot of pain on the side of my fifth toe (phalange bone area) not a fracture nor a bunion. ?

Dr. Ronald Krauser
Internal Medicine - Rheumatology

In brief: Have it reevaluated

Was the foot x rayed? Have the issue reevaluated in pain persists.

In brief: Have it reevaluated

Dr. Ronald Krauser
Dr. Ronald Krauser

In brief: Nerve injury?

Ankle sprains are notoriously poorly diagnosed and undertreated by non specialist.
The twisting mechanism that causes an 'ankle sprain' can also result in fracture of the 5th metatarsal at the head or base. Additionally with an ankle sprain ther can be a stretching injury to the nerve that can innervate the little toe area. Finally 4 weeks is not unusual to still have discomfort after a bad sprain

In brief: Nerve injury?

Dr. Michael McGlamry
Dr. Michael McGlamry

In brief: Sprain

there is a slip of tendon called the peroneus tertious tendon that can sometimes get pulled with an ankle sprain.
sometimes the nerves to the toes get stretched when the sprain is bad enough and the "sural nerve" courses from the outside of the ankle to the little toe and can cause some pain

In brief: Sprain

Dr. Jason Armstrong
Dr. Jason Armstrong
Dr. Peter Ihle
Orthopedic Surgery

In brief: IF ON THE LITTLE TOE

....Same area as a bunion would b on the great toe, could b a tailor's bunion that is now symptomatic since the sprain.
The toe if a tailor's, would look about the same size as it was b 4 the injury, but now would b red, tender and maybe a little bigger. Also u may have one on the other side. Keep me posted. ....Pmi.... No good image.

In brief: IF ON THE LITTLE TOE

Dr. Peter Ihle
Dr. Peter Ihle
Dr. Meir Marmor
Orthopedic Surgery

In brief: Be more specific...

It is important to know which part of the side of your 5th toe you are talking about.
Is it the part closer to the ankle or the part closer to the toes? Do you have swelling or tenderness? Does it hurt more when you are walking?What makes it hurt less? Hurt more? Are there other parts of the foot and ankle that are also tender?Does Ibuprofen relieve the pain? How was the sprain treated until now?

In brief: Be more specific...

Dr. Meir Marmor
Dr. Meir Marmor
Dr. Crystal Twynham
Board Certified, Surgery