5 htp and eosinophilia myalgia syndrome. How long do you have to take 5 htp, before you get eosinophilia myalgia? I have been taking it for 4 day now.

Dr. Thomas Namey
Internal Medicine - Rheumatology
In brief: 5HTP, several differ
5htp was made by a technique using genetically altered yeast in japan , which was the culprit, since it was the most imported.
Even though associated with this syndrome, most people who took the bad 5htp did not get the disease. I do not believe 5htp made today would have the contaminant. I would not worry about 4 day exposure.

In brief: 5HTP, several differ
Dr. Thomas Namey
Dr. Thomas Namey
Dr. Michio Abe
In brief: Eosinophilia myalgia
Eosinophilia myalgia syndrome is a rare allergic disorder associated with consumption of l-tryptophan, 5-htp or a contaminant of supplements containing these compounds, possibly only in individuals with a genetic predisposition.
Chances are you will not develop this rare condition. But if you do get muscle pain or shortness of breath while on 5-htp, you should stop taking it and go see a doctor.

In brief: Eosinophilia myalgia
Dr. Michio Abe
Dr. Michio Abe
Dr. Steven Seres