Got punched in the jaw a few times last night, so it hurts now when I open my mouth to eat. When will the pain pass? Any way to help the healing?

Dr. Michelle Marcincuk
ENT - Head & Neck Surgery

In brief: Go get checked

Fractures of the jaw bone are very real and very problematic if not taken care of.
If your jaw hurts to open, you need to get this checked. Or else you risk an untreated fracture that can get infected, heal wrong, and cause all sorts of long term problems.

In brief: Go get checked

Dr. Michelle Marcincuk
Dr. Michelle Marcincuk
Dr. Malaika Witter Hewitt
ENT - Head & Neck Surgery

In brief: You need an X ray

You could have a mandible (jaw) fracture.
If you let such a fracture go untreated, it could get infected or heal improperly, known as a non-union or a mal-union. This could seriously affect your bite, and the joint known as the temporomandibular joint.

In brief: You need an X ray

Dr. Malaika Witter Hewitt
Dr. Malaika Witter Hewitt
Dr. SG Erman

In brief: Few days

Ice, tylenol, (acetaminophen) soft foods, mouthguard next time.

In brief: Few days

Dr. SG Erman
Dr. SG Erman
Dr. William Forsythe