How do I know if my baby has strep throat?

Dr. Lisa Roberts
In brief: Fever, poor appetite
It is very unusual for an infant to get strep throat.
However an older child or family member in close contact with your baby has it, it is possible. In most cases, babies with strep throat are very fussy due to the pain, may have a high fever, and decreased appetite. Every now and then babies can have vomiting and rash from strep throat. It is best to contact your doctor if you are concerned.

In brief: Fever, poor appetite
Dr. Lisa Roberts
Dr. Lisa Roberts
Dr. Anna Meyer
ENT - Head & Neck Surgery - Pediatric
In brief: Throat swab
To confirm strep throat, they need to have a throat swab by a doctor. A sore throat without other symptoms is not likely to be strep.
High fever (above 101.5 f), swollen lymph nodes in the neck, and pus on the tonsils are more likely to be strep.

In brief: Throat swab
Dr. Anna Meyer
Dr. Anna Meyer