My optician said they didn't want to request lenses with the full astigmatism correction of - 5 because I might get headaches. Is this valid?

Dr. Ilan Cohen
Ophthalmology

In brief: Possibly

If you have a high level of astigmatism and are not used to wearing a spectacle lens to correct for it, headaches and discomfort can occur. I would check with your eye doctor regarding what prescription you should go with.

In brief: Possibly

Dr. Ilan Cohen
Dr. Ilan Cohen
Dr. Richard Bensinger
Ophthalmology

In brief: Depends

If you have been a high astigmatism wearer of eyeglasses for some time, then this should not be an issue.
If this is your first pair, then you might notice some field and edge distortions but headaches are unlikely go ahead and get your glasses with the full correction.

In brief: Depends

Dr. Richard Bensinger
Dr. Richard Bensinger
Dr. Eric Weisman