My optician said they didn't want to request lenses with the full astigmatism correction of - 5 because I might get headaches. Is this valid?

Dr. Ilan Cohen
Ophthalmology
In brief: Possibly
If you have a high level of astigmatism and are not used to wearing a spectacle lens to correct for it, headaches and discomfort can occur. I would check with your eye doctor regarding what prescription you should go with.

In brief: Possibly
Dr. Ilan Cohen
Dr. Ilan Cohen
Dr. Richard Bensinger
Ophthalmology
In brief: Depends
If you have been a high astigmatism wearer of eyeglasses for some time, then this should not be an issue.
If this is your first pair, then you might notice some field and edge distortions but headaches are unlikely go ahead and get your glasses with the full correction.

In brief: Depends
Dr. Richard Bensinger
Dr. Richard Bensinger